In the UK, Kal Tire have been producing quality retread and remould tyres since 1989 to market sectors such as coal, quarrying, waste sites and ports. Alfreton is home to their state of the art retreading facility that manufactures premium quality retread tyres up to 49” in size.At the heart of Kal Tire’s manufacturing business is a belief in “What gets measured gets done” as access to real-time, accurate knowledge of manufacturing performance aids in effective daily operations and is key to reducing costs and continually improving efficiency and quality.
The Business Need
The first challenge Kal Tire faced was its outdated system which was threatening to topple. The business wanted to update its system and bring modern technology to their production process. They were looking to produce reports and follow big data rather than make decisions based on spreadsheets and paper-based systems.
- Access: Real time 24/7 global access to the status of the manufacturing facility
- Simplicity: A system easy to set up and use, with no need for complex or expensive IT installations
- Productivity: Record, track and compare job and worker productivity & timing, as well as identify any pitfalls in processing to reallocate resources
- Reporting KPI’s and management information
- Traceability and tracking of production resources based on big-data sets and timing records
The Solution Provided
Kal Tire’s integration of the barcode system has allowed for more traceability with capturing more data on timings. The versatile and wholly adaptable system has allowed them to look online to find data on tyre production currently occurring in the field.
Second phase integration of the TotalControlPro software was to enable greater traceability. Kal Tire sought to capture more real-time data base don inventory management. By entering a second phase of system alterations Kal Tire have been able to make more meaningful changes based on the capturing of big data sets and information of timings produced by the TotalControlPro software.
- Our software provides real-time manufacturing status to see who is working and what is happening on the factory floor.
- Auto capture of production floor data, allowing management to see live and historic audit activity.
- Process and work instructions displayed clearly and easily accessible. Software can be easily configured and updated.
- Better organisational efficiency & improved accountability for each employee, resulting in accurate data of workplace productivity, leading to productivity improvements across the board.
The Impact and Results
Kal Tire were quickly able to start tracking people, parts and processes all throughout their manufacturing facility.
By continued close cooperation with TotalControlPro, Kal Tire now use the software efficiently collecting data during manufacturing to build vital process audit trails for each type of tyre manufactured.
TotalControlPro also allowed them to create KPI’s and management information reporting.